French Onion Grilled Cheese
This grilled cheese sandwich is full of the irresistible flavours of classic onion soup.
- 4 slices Bon Matin La mie de l'artisanMC 12 Grains bread
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each chopped fresh thyme and rosemary
- 4 oz (125 g) Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- Melt half of the butter in nonstick skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and rosemary, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until onion is soft and caramelized. Let cool to room temperature; fold in Gruyère.
- Spread mustard evenly over 2 slices of bread. Top with onion mixture; top with remaining bread. Spread remaining butter over outside of sandwiches.
- In nonstick skillet set over medium‑low heat, cook sandwiches for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- Tip: Add dried cherries to onion mixture for a sweet note.