- Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Line a baking tray with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- Lay out the beet slices on the tray. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, making sure to flip the slices halfway through.
- Meanwhile, mix the goat cheese, honey, walnuts and chives.
- Grill the bread on one side using an oiled griddle pan.
- To make the sandwiches, spread the goat cheese mixture on each slice (on the side that isn’t grilled), then add the beets, arugula and a few pickled red onions. Top with another slice of bread.
- For the pickled red onions: Making pickled red onions is a piece of cake. Just bring 1/4 cup (60 mL) of water and 1/4 cup (60 mL) of white vinegar to a boil. You can do this in a small saucepan over the stove top or in a microwavable bowl. Then add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of sugar. Pour the liquid over the red onions and keep them at room temperature until you’re ready to use them!
Hubert’s tip: Sandwiches often don’t have enough protein. Make sure to include some kind of animal (meat, poultry, fish, cheese, eggs, etc.) or plant (legumes, nut butter, hummus, tofu, tempeh, etc.) protein. Bread is also a source of protein! Pay close attention to the nutrition facts table to make the best choices!