Sandwich with ricotta, smoked salmon, balsamic vinegar and toasted flaked almonds
Recipe by Hubert Cormier: A varied and balanced diet should include two servings of fish per week. If your kids or other family members aren't as fond of fish as you are, try including it in your lunch! In addition to providing valuable omega‑3 oils (content varies among species, with oily fish such as mackerel, sardines and salmon containing the highest levels), fish is a good source of protein and vitamin D. I've concocted a great sandwich recipe for you that alone supplies a whopping 30 grams of protein. It's sure to keep you going for a good part of the afternoon!
- 2 slices Bon Matin La mie de l'artisanMC Muesli bread
- 2.5 oz (75 g) smoked salmon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic glaze or reduced balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) flaked almonds
- ¼ cup (60 mL) ricotta
- Alfalfa or other sprouts, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toast the bread slices in a toaster.
- Spread the ricotta on one of the two slices.
- Top with smoked salmon, flaked almonds and sprouts.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the sprouts, season to taste, then cover with the second piece of toast.
Tip from Hubert: Canned salmon can be used instead of smoked salmon. The good fatty acids (omega‑3s) in salmon are known to promote cardiovascular health.