- Caramelized Onions
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) sugar
- The Welsh
- 2 cups (500 ml) sharp cheddar, grated
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) + 1 cup (250 ml) brown beer
- 4 tsp. (20 ml) maple‑cider mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices Bon Matin La mie de l'artisanMC Rye bread
- 4 ham slices
- Preheat the oven at 350 °F (180 °C).
- Caramelized Onions ‑ In a pot over medium heat, sauté the onions in oil for 5 minutes. Add the sugar. Cook while stirring occasionally for 15 minutes, or until soft. Reserve.
- The Welsh ‑ In the meantime, in a pot over low heat, melt the cheddar mixed with the finest quantity of beer and mustard to obtain a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- Soak the bread slices in 250 ml of beer and place the slices in deep plates that go in the oven. On each slice of bread, place a ham slice, a spoonful of caramelized onions, and then cover with the creamy cheddar.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Tip: For those of you who want to take it one step further, you can add a fried egg at the very end on your welsh!