Corn, carrot and zucchini veggie burgers
Recipe by Hubert Cormier: I really enjoy vegetarian meals! I try a new vegetarian recipe at least once a week, which helps ensure that I eat a variety of veggies and grains. I thought I'd introduce you to one of my favourite recipes: veggie burgers made with grated vegetables, bread crumbs and eggs. These patties are packed with fibre, vitamins and minerals. You can make extra and serve them as a side for dinner.
- 1 zucchini, seeded and grated
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 ears' worth of corn or 1 can kernel corn
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250 mL) Bon MatinMC Multigrain bread (about 3 slices)
- ½ cup (125 mL) part skim mozzarella, grated
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- Place the zucchini in a colander, add the salt and mix. Leave for 20 minutes to disgorge it. Wrap the zucchini in a clean, dry towel and wring it to remove as much water as possible.
- In a bowl, combine the corn, grated vegetables, egg yolks, bread crumbs and mozzarella. Mix well and season to taste. If you find the texture too moist, add some bread crumbs as needed.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites using a mixer until they form soft peaks. Fold into vegetable mixture with a spatula.
- Shape into 12 patties. In a non‑stick skillet, fry in three batches for approximately 4 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking.
Tip from Hubert: Serve with a garden salad and a dip made with Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.