Cloud-Egg Croque-Madame by Hubert Cormier
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) spinach
- 2 eggs, separated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices Bon Matin Seed Lovers No Fat, No Sugar Added bread
- 2 slices ham
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 230 °C (450 °F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large, anti‑stick pan, brown the onions in the canola oil and butter. Once they are the desired brownness, add the spinach. Sauté for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Add salt and pepper to taste. Gently fold in. On the baking sheet, separate the egg white mixture into two separate “nests”. Here, it is important to create indentations for the egg yolks—the back of a spoon works well to do this.
- On the same baking sheet, assemble the croque‑madames, starting with a slice of bread, then adding a slice of ham, the onion mixture and half of the Swiss cheese, topped with another slice of bread. Place the rest of the Swiss cheese on top of the bread.
- Cook in the oven for 4 minutes (just the croque‑madames and egg whites!). Place the egg yolks in the “nests” and cook for another 4 minutes. Serve the croque‑madames with the egg on top. Garnish with chives.